Saturday, May 9, 2015

Geography lesson

I was asked where exactly I am for my exchange, so I thought it would be best to show you on a map. To give you a better understanding of the huge dimensions of Brazil, I'll give you so recent numbers as well.


Brazil is much bigger than Germany (ca. 23.6 timers bigger) and even bigger than Australia (ca. 1.1 times).

CapitalBrasília
Largest citySão Paulo
Official languagesPortuguese
Ethnic groups (2010)
GovernmentFederal presidentialconstitutional republic
 - PresidentDilma Rousseff
Area
 - Total8,515,767 km2 (5th biggest)
3,287,597 sq mi
 - Water (%)0.65
Population
 - 2014 estimate202,768,562
 - Density23.8/km2
GDP (PPP)2015 estimate
 - Total$3.259 trillion (7th)

The country consists of 26 states and one Federal District. The state in which I live at the moment is Minas Gerais (red in the next map). Only this state has still more than twice the size of Germany. 


Within Minas Gerais I live in the city Juiz de Fora. On the next map I marked it with a little arrow. As you can see it's a bit inland in the mountains. It's about 200 km (or 3 bus hours) from Rio de Janeiro and about 550 km (or 8 bus hours) from São Paulo.


No comments:

Post a Comment